Friday, June 22, 2012

Burot Beach: A Cheap Get-away to Calatagan Batangas

This visit to Burot Beach is more of a spur of the moment escapade rather than a planned trip. I was browsing the lists of the latest blog posts of Pinoy Travel Boggers in our Facebook page when my attention was captured by a title of a blog entry. It mentioned both the words beach and budget and having been deprived of the beach for a few months already and since I'm now on my thriftiest year saving for an upcoming wedding, I quickly checked where the beach is located. To my delight, it is just in Calatagan Batangas, a town about 3-4 hour drive south of Manila. The following week, I had found myself traveling from Ortigas to Lawton, sleepy from my night shift to meet my companions and ride a bus plying Calatagan.




There are no longer Calatagan bound buses in Park n Ride Terminal in Lawton as stated in the official website of Calatagan. The buses there would take you to Nasugbu instead. We just took the bus and alighted in Lian Batangas where we rode a jeep to Calatagan. The supposed to be three-hour ride took us five. Apparently that day, there was an ongoing demolition of informal settlers' houses near Coastal Road where our bus was passing.




It was already past noon when we arrived Lian and we rented a jeep that would take us to Calatagan, to avoid waiting for a long queue of jeeps waiting to be filled. We paid Php300 for all of us, 8 adults and 2 children. We added Php100, the driver seemed really helpful.

In Lian, we had our lunch at a local diner (carinderia), bought more supplies including 2 big containers of drinking water then arranged for a tricycle ride. We paid the tricycle drivers Php300 each, with an arrangement that the drivers would fetch us the following day.

The road to Burot Beach is kind of bumpy. After a short cemented road, it becomes a narrow dusty road that may be uncomfortable. After about 30 minutes, the tricycle entered a gated property and started driving in an even more dusty unpaved road. In just a few minutes, the view changed from a ragged dirt road into a scenic view of water world and mangrove areas in both sides.




We reached the end where there is a serious looking guard collecting for a Php150 entrance fee per person. He was carrying a shot gun which reminded me of security guards in Banco de Oro.. The blogs I read mentioned of this place  as a property of Henry Sy or his coporation, which when I asked the caretaker and the guard, they said it's true. Btw, there is a separate fee for using the bamboo tables in the beach, it ranges from Php300-500.




We started pitching our tents under an umbrella tree. There is no accommodation in the area. The weather is too dry and hot when we were there and the umbrella trees did great in providing a cool shade. I was planning to take a nap feeling really tired having been awake for 24 hours but the excited voice of my companions already wading in the water changed my mind. I joined them and found out the water is too shallow for swimming even if we walked far, with lots of sea grass and worse, sea urchins. It was really not possible to take a dip. I was dismayed. To be honest, I even thought it was not worth the effort. Nikko even got stung by something in his face and arms and it might be a jellyfish, the jellyfish we previously saw swimming with us though doesn't sting so we're not sure what caused him the rashes and pain. At that time, I can't wait to go home the following morning and lay my weary body to a comfortable bed. It suddenly changed when the sun started to set. It was a glorious sunset changing the colors of the sky from blue, orange, red then indigo. It was the most dramatic sunset I had witnessed.







Night time came and we happily feasted on our food, chicken and pork adobo plus salted egg in tomato. Both are simple dishes but at that time, it seemed to have transformed into food of the royalties. :D Electricity has not yet reached Burot Beach so the area could have been pitch black if not for the bright light illuminating from the caretakers lamp. We also had our own lamp that is reliable all the time.




The following morning, the beach is a picture of serenity. It was still low tide and I haven't seen a single wave. I'm even starting to doubt if this is really a sea. I know it is because the water is salty, it's just that the water is so calm and silent. We roamed around the place and admired how beautiful it is. The sand isn't fine, the water is too shallow but the serenity and peace the place offers is next to none. There is a rocky area on the  left of the camping area that is so picturesque.






Late morning, we noticed there was a change in the depth of the water then we realized the tide is getting high. We tried our luck swimming in the water and found out it was deeper than the day before.I could actually swim! Yey! We spent long hours snorkeling and discovering more of the underwater. We saw several star fish, more jelly fish, and a school of small black fish. On the far right end of the beach where there are rocks that looked like a remains of a building, the water is even deeper and there are actually corals, sea slugs and more and bigger sea urchins.  I saw a post underwater that may had served as a foundation for the razed structure. 








With the view, the deeper water on the second day and with the company of adventurers like me, I was really having a good time and almost forgot my dismay the day before. :)




Burot beach is, after all, worth my sleepless hours, the long travel caused by traffic jam and the bumpy ride, not to mention the Php150 entrance fee. Provided it's high tide and you've brought an aqua shoes or sandals to protect your feet from the large population of sea urchins, it is an enjoyable place, rustic yet charming. They have clean water source that can be used for cooking but I just hope that the bathrooms/restrooms in the beach be improved soon because it's far from being decent. It is next to disgusting. The allure of the place weighs more to me though that the restrooms so if asked if I'm willing to go back there, I'd say yes, I'll just try to minimize my use of the restroom. :)





At 3 PM, our tricycles arrived and we had our final picture as a group with our sun-kissed skin. We arrived back in Manila in just a 3-hour van ride paying Php180. It was the cheapest overnight (and out of town) trip I had for the past years. :)

***Thanks to Marx of www.Marxtermind.com for sharing this place and for answering my questions. Thanks to everybody who joined in this  overnight trip. Let's do it again soon. :)

The Blogger would like to share: Tips on Creating Your Do-it-Yourself Trips


42 comments :

  1. wow, your photos are amazing. Burot beach is becoming really popular:)
    Would love to visit that place soon.
    Keep on posting and inspiring us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barefoot Venus. :) You have to, the place is beautiful specially during high tide

      Delete
    2. Me and my friends were planning to get there this summer, should we have our own tents or are there tents for rent? and are there like cooking areas for food we might bring?

      Delete
    3. They are not renting tents in Burot so it is a must to bring your own. They also don't have any cooking areas. During our visit, we brought our own portable/camping stove and cook sets. They have tables/open cottages you can rent where you can place your stocks and prepare your food.

      Delete
  2. Ang galing nung school of fish, kaka-amaze.

    I have to agree with you the best part of Burot is the sunset. Ang ganda lang! ;)

    I miss this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sakto natiming nong lumusong ako Marx. Thanks for patiently answering my questions when I was planning this. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi! I am planning to go there this weekend. I am a little bit bothered with their restroom. Is it really that dirty? Okay naman ba siyang paliguan o may separate 'shower room'? Super thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa. My apologies for the late reply, been away for several days. Based on my standard, it is more than dirty. It kind of smells too but on my end, I just had to endure than since the beach is really nice, except for the sea urchins. Bring an aqua shoes if you can. Have fun!

      Delete
  4. Hi may i just ask how much accomodation dito? thank you po.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. The place doesn't have any accommodation available. If camping sounds good to you, they allow visitors to pitch tents for overnight stay.

      Delete
  5. Hi mam....your blog post is very informative...I just want to ask if you have contacts from the care taker that you have mentioned above? I just want to make sure if the rates are still the same....thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi iamsupergee. :) Glad you found the post informative. Unfortunately, I didn't get their contact but my bestfriend was just there yesterday (Jan 4). I'll ask her if there had been any changes with the rates and I'll get back to you as soon as I hear from her. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Hi again! I've just heard from my friend and for some reason, rates seemed to have dropped. She says they were collecting P60 for day tour and only P120 for overnight. Hope the info helps. Have fun in Burot. :)

      Delete
  6. Maam ask ko lang po. kung mas ok po ba ang commute or may sasakyan?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maam i enjoy reading your blog. thanks for this very informative blog. just can i ask, would it be better to go to burot driving or commuting? Thanks maam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John! I'm sorry for this late response, haven't opened my blog for a while super busy kasi talaga.

      We commuted on our way there but I think, having your own vehicle will have its advantage since it will save you more travel time plus needless to say, it's more comfortable. There's a short unpaved road in between the town proper to Burot Beach but any car can handle it for sure. Please let me know about your experience in Burot. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you very much...looking forward for more of your travel adventures....keep it up your such an inspiration for me...btw I also have a blog (just a newbee..hehehe) will put you on my faves...thanks again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, those are very kind words Gee. I appreciate it so much. I've actually visited your blog the first time you left a comment and I keep on coming back whenever I have time to browse.:)

      I stopped blogging for quite a while now, it is the super busy sched, it's crazy but comments like yours just heighten my love for blogging even more and I know I won't stop. Let's both continue blogging. :)

      Delete
  9. galing ng blog!mkpapunta nga din dian sa vacation! the most important thing eh you are not ignoring people questions :) thumbs up mam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miguel. Let me know about your experience pag nakapunta ka na don. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi, my team are planning to have a getaway next month and i saw your blog. This really help me decide where to go. May i ask if tent is available if we plan to have an overnight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice. I'm afraid you would have to bring your own, they don't have tents for rent there. Good luck on your planning and have fun on your team building. :)

      Delete
  11. gud eve,,open po ba araw araw yun burot beach? balak po namin pumunta ng madaling araw?pwd po ba yun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine. Yes open sila everyday. I' m not sure through if they allow entry very early in the morning. Possible kasi na tulog pa mga guards na nagbabantay don sa gate papasok nong beach.

      Delete
  12. balak po namin pumunta last week of feb,,,

    ReplyDelete
  13. mga 4 am po pwd na po? may narerent naman cottage dun dba po? or nipahut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do. Please be reminded they only have OPEN cottages. When we visited, rate for just a day visit was P75. As stated in the previous comments though, last January, they were just asking for a P60 entrance so I guess it varies from time to time. I won't be able to give guarantee on the time they open and start letting visitors in, i personally haven't tried going there very early. Goodluck on your planning. Please let me know abt your experience in Burot. :)

      Delete
  14. how much po pla yun entrance pag d over night...?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi po.. Good day mam.... my friend an i are planning to visit this beach and spend an overnyt there... sa mga pictures you posted, mas lalo kaming naexcite na mapuntahan tong lugar na to. :) super thanks mam kasi ang dami kong nalaman important infos na for sure makakatulong para mas makapagready kami.. just want to ask lang po if its still open for public?? i mean..nbabasa ko sa ibang blogs na property na siya ng SM, bka po kasi pagpunta namin dun,, hindi na sila magcater ng visitors. we're planning na this weekend pumunta.and another question po.. safe padin po ba kahit dalawa lang kami magpupunta dun? i mean, unlike dun sa ibang naview ko na mostly group of friends 5-6 persons kadalasan. again thank you po.. looking forward for your reply coz it will surely help us. Salamat po ulit. Godbless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for dropping by. My friend was there last January and i believe they still accommodate guests. Nong pumunta kami non, acquired na sya ng may ari ng SM, from what the caretaker told me. I'm not 100% sure but i really think that they are still open for public. Safe naman yong place even for smaller groups. They have guards in the area. Siguro it would be better to camp malapit sa hut kung saan nagsstay yong family ng caretakers. That way in case you need help, mas madali humingi ng tulong. As in any other place, caution is necessary. Fret not though, mabait naman yong mga tao don based on experience. Hope you enjoy your camping in Burot. ;)

      Delete
  16. Hello mam. naresked po yung plan namin magpunta sa Burot Beach, probably early this march po kami pupunta..and this time,, matutuloy na talaga. and maraming salamat po sa reply niyo.. the infos you gave will surely help us.. i'll inform you po pag nakapunta nadin kame at isshare ko din yung experience namin.. looking forward napo kami sa adventure namin na to.. Again,, thank you, and please continue inspiring people and discovering unknown wonders of our own.. its more fun sa Pinas! Godspeed! ^_

    ReplyDelete
  17. hello. very nice review. i would like to ask if you have contact numbers ng resort maam? kasi po we're planning to have our retreat with the youth. Thanks in advance! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. sa mga ng bbalak pong pumunta sa burot beach..pls call or text.0949-7411-982/0915-8121-330..im rodel.a tryk driver

    ReplyDelete
  19. i'm johnny hernandez tricycle driver of calatangan batangas, to those who like to go to burot beach, just call or text me at 0999-474-9147 hurry up !!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi, anu po ang texture ng sand dito sa burot beach? we are planning to go there next week sana..white sand beach din ba dito? and i saw your photos with jelly fish and fishes, safe po ba sa bata? saka di ba makati yung water? Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi guys, any contact number para pede mag pa reserve ng cottage or table dito? TIA!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ask our trike drver 4 d info about burot 09422399069

    ReplyDelete
  23. https://plus.google.com/u/0/112665640580850760847/posts....SEE DETAILS HERE & PLS CONTACT ME...I WILL BRING YOU TO BUROT BEACH...THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bakit no reply sa cp nos. Na bnigay mo po?

    ReplyDelete
  25. ADVENTURE TO BUROT BEACH
    i'am sure you can enjoy the beautiful
    white sand the clean water
    you can relax the beautiful place
    Try it Believe it
    just call or text : kuya Romy
    to serve you any time you want
    or tricycle ride to burot beach
    Php 150 each good for 1 to 3 person
    from public market to burot beach
    contact # 09266452950

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really enjoyed reading your blog maam. It is so detailed. 😊😘 really helpful for me coa I'm planning to see this burot beach. 😍😁 God Bless. :))

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...