Saturday, August 21, 2010

Efforts paid off - the Capones Lighthouse Adventure

I've been thinking on how to start this entry about Capones Lighthouse. I don't know why but somehow, I'm not satisfied with how my intro is coming out so I guess I'll just start with the basics.

Capones Island can be seen when you're in the shores of Pundaquit Beach in San Antonio, Zambales. That will be the same drop off point when going to Anawangin Cove. It will probably take about 15-20 minutes to reach it by boat.



The first time I was there, our boat docked on the part of the island where there are tall rock formations and almost white yet coarse sands. (might be dead corals) It's very scenic. The downside is, we don't have any idea on how to go to the lighthouse from where we currently were.



Tatay Alfring(the boat man) discouraged us from still going to the lighthouse by telling it will still be a long walk and it's dangerous without a guide. Well, the truth is, I can walk for miles and for hours, I won't really mind. :) What bothered me is the fact that there are no visible trails, the grasses grew very tall at that time and I was thinking of snakes. lol! But the adventurer in us won. My boyfriend and I decided to go on.



We started walking towards our left until we're in higher grounds. We saw a structure of a building that I'm guessing was an unfinished resthouse. We passed through its ground floor and continued walking, downhill this time and just kept on walking until we realized that we've already reached the other side of the island and instead of walking in soil/sands, we're stepping on pebbles. I'm really delighted that we've come that far!



As our walk progressed, we saw a pile of stones beside what seems to be a narrow upward trail and thought someone intentionally left it so one would know that's the right way to the lighthouse. We started hiking, not so sure if we're on the right track but full of hopes that we were. And you guessed it right! You wouldn't imagine our relief and excitement when we saw a part of the lighthouse from afar. It really felt soooo good.




The feeling of ecstacy from having reached the lighthouse faded when I realized it's just my boyfriend and I in this run down place where nobody could possibly hear you even if you give it your best shout. I suddenly visualized those Japanese horror movies I had watched especially when I noticed the well in the yard. Silly me,lol!




But then again, the beauty of the surroundings have a calming effect. It was very rewarding when we got to the top of the lighthouse, which by the way is still operational with the use of a solar panel).





I believe though that the local government of San Antonio can still do lots of improvements for Capones Lighthouse.



The second time I was there, Tatay Alfring(the same boatman) led us to the part of the island that will be nearer the lighthouse. The rough waves prevented our boat from docking right in the shore so we ended up getting off the boat while still on the waist high waters. No complaints though, it was a new sight and anything new is welcome. We climbed a steep and rocky stairs and voila! We've reached the lighthouse in no time.



If you're planning on seeing the lighthouse, you might want to start from the part of the island where there are stairs then arrange for the boatman to fetch you at the other side where the sea is calmer and the view is more picturesque. You might go there just once so why not see everything there is?

2 comments :

  1. ....I've been reading your posts for the past weeks...and am getting inspired to try going out instead of just going home to our province every summer. I am from Zambales and saw that you've seen more of my province than I have, I feel sorry for myself. I promise to bring my family to either Anawangin or Nagsasa Cove to show them the beauty of our province and hopefully visit other spots thereafter. Thanks for the inspiration and more power! Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you so much for the kind words, it also inspires me to keep on blogging. There are really lots to see and discover in our country, hope we both explore more in the future. I really appreciate you checking out my posts. :) Tc!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...